First prize to Uppsala student at E-lab Joint Event 2019
19 December 2019
On the 19th and 20th of November, EIT Health - the health innovation sector of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) organised the E-Lab Joint Event at the Medical University of Lodz, Poland. First prize went to the Uppsala student Karthik Rajasekar, studying at the Master’s Programme in Applied Biotechnology.
The E-Lab Joint event consisted of a competition and a workshop. The workshop aimed at enhancing efficient delivery of health innovation by EIT, the challenging competition tested the technical skills of the participants in medical engineering.
The competition involved analysing and fixing a non-working prototype of an all new medical device that was designed with the aim of aiding cardiovascular surgeons while performing an open-heart surgery. With no other information regarding the prototype being provided, it was entirely up-to the participants to analyse the model and figure out what the designers had in mind and what they had in fact executed. The participants had to, in maximum 45 minutes, propose the most feasible solution that they believe would help the prototype work efficiently. They also had to manufacture the required and implement it into the model of the medical device.
Karthik Rajasekar, second year student from the Master’s Programme in Applied Biotechnology at Uppsala University, was awarded the 1st prize in this competition as he managed not only to find solutions to various problems with the medical device and to fix the prototype, but also to make the device functional at the fastest timing.
Kartick says that – ‘ I found this E-Lab Joint event by EIT Health to be highly exhilarating and productive. Furthermore, I would like to thank my department, Biology Education Centre at Uppsala University for granting me this sublime opportunity’.
- She presides over boundless engineers 05 februari 2020
- Energy and Structural Biology in focus at this year’s Celsius–Linnaeus Lectures 04 februari 2020
- "We underestimate the importance of biodiversity” 03 februari 2020
- Three new departments from Engineering Sciences 14 januari 2020
- Popular exit course for doctoral students 14 januari 2020
- First prize to Uppsala student at E-lab Joint Event 2019 19 december 2019
- Register your publications in DiVA no later than 8 January 26 november 2019
- Carl Johan Casten Carlberg is Uppsala Student of 2019 19 november 2019
- Careers fair: Time for an eco-labelled Utnarm 04 november 2019
- Researcher Profile: “The idea is to derive new generic molecular models” 10 oktober 2019
- Research Infrastructure to Meet Tomorrow’s Challenges 10 oktober 2019
- Panel discussion with Niklas Zennström: “I am optimistic” 09 oktober 2019
- One Year into the University’s Largest Construction Project 07 oktober 2019
- What’s around the corner – with Johan Tysk 09 september 2019
- The Solar Cell Researcher heading CEMUS 05 september 2019
- The paper filter that can clean water in Bangladesh 23 augusti 2019
- Cosmos and Mathematics are approaching 18 juni 2019
- Students get to try out advanced bioprocess technologies at the Testa Center 18 juni 2019
- “It’s OK to be driven by curiosity alone” 14 maj 2019
- Participate in our safety survey! 13 maj 2019